Wednesday 6 July 2011

Being married, 40 years on.....

Hi All,

Apologies for the not blogging for a couple of weeks, i have been super busy with one thing or another, business trips to London, client meeting here there and everywhere, hyperactive dogs that chew my house to pieces..... im sure you;v e all been there. Anyway i was browsing my wedding blogs this evening and came across this lovely post that i wanted to share with you all.....

REFLECTIONS ON 40 YEARS OF WEDDED BLISS (?) - http://granspeak.blogspot.com/2011/07/reflections-on-40-years-of-wedded-bliss.html#comment-form

Today, July 3, 2011, this 65-year old granny and her nearly 70-year old hubby celebrate 40 years of wedded ... er ... bliss? Is that the right word? It'd be lovely to say it's all been bliss, but come on. Let's get real: sometimes it's been a damn nightmare and sometimes it's been hilarious. But bliss? Save that for greeting cards!

Speaking of cards, this morning we shared one of those hilarious moments: now they say when you've been married for ages, you start looking like each other, a bit like we supposedly also pick pets that look like us (I don't look at all like Duffy ... !)

But back to this morning. I'm sitting on the puter (as usual). Hubby comes downstairs, doesn't look at me but heads straight into his office. I see his reflection in the glass doors and I know what he's doing: getting my card. So before he comes out with it tucked behind his back, I grab mine and tuck it behind my back. Grinning at each other, we meet in the foyer, do our usual perfunctory kiss and hand each other the cards we both knew we had. Uh-oh! His envelope is the same color and size as mine! Don't tell me ... ! Yes, we got each other the exact same card from the same shop. We open them up and burst out laughing again: though we didn't use the same words, we both said the same thing ie. will we live long enough to make 50 years of wedded "bliss". Talk about being alike. We may not look alike but we sure think alike ... well sometimes.

Had we thought alike over all those years, maybe it would have been wedded bliss ie. no arguments, fights, wondering why we were still together when all our friends had called it quits years before. But then, there's another word that starts with "B" that would have described that scenario: BORING! Could you just imagine a marriage where you both always agreed on everything?

40 years is a long time for anything: jewelry breaks; cars rust out; houses fall into disrepair; teeth decay; knees and backs ache; hearing grows dim; patience wears thin. The only thing that's grown over those years is, in my case, my waistline! That reasonably slim bride (me) in the video above has gained 25 - 30 pounds over those 40 years; annoyingly, hubby's weight is much the same give or take 10 pounds. (How's that work. No fair!) And even today, when we see folks we haven't seen in years, they always say to him "Gees John, except for the gray hairs, you haven't changed at all!" To me, they usually don't say anything at all about my current looks. They wouldn't dare! I'm a woman and they know they'll be damned if they do and damned if they don't say the right thing.

But thick or thin, good and bad, we've stuck it out. We've survived two trans-continent moves: Canada to Australia and back to Canada again (If you need something to really test your marriage, try that!) We've survived giving birth to our own kids when I was past my prime for child-bearing (mid-30's) and becoming almost full-time parents to our grand-daughter in our mid 60's (when we are now both well past our prime)! Like everyone, the rest would fill a book but I doubt I'll live long enough to write it.

Health-wise, will we last another 10 years? Will we get to celebrate 50 years of marriage as today we celebrate 40? And if we do, we will still see each other clearly, hear what each other is saying, remember what we told each other 2 seconds ago and still be able to laugh when we burp, fart or spring a leak as we run for the toilet? Let's hope so. And let's hope, as the saying goes, "The best is yet to come."

I found this so lovely and i hope that I am writing blogs like this about Craig and I in 40 years time.

No comments:

Post a Comment